Some people can wear show-stopping red without a chaser. But,
for me--especially in the daytime--I need to water down red's
intense impact. I also have the hardest time wearing red in the
winter months--especially in December & February when
everyone's wearing it in honor of the holidays & Valentine's
Day. I think part of the problem for me is that I don't like
drawing attention to what I'm wearing, & people can't help
noticing & commenting on red at this time of year. But I love
red, & I don't want to give it up just because everyone's wearing it.
So here are some ideas on how to wear red without feeling like a holiday card...
- You don't have to wear bright red. Wine shades, cranberry, & oxblood are festive too.
- Pair red with white or off-white to make a clean, strong statement (yes, you can wear white after Labor Day).
- Pair red with gray--even dress it down with a sweatshirt, gray jeans, or a gray tee.
- Add just a touch of red such as red shoes, a red belt, or a red scarf.
- Pairing red with blue & gray balances out red.
- Pair red with a pattern like animal-print or a mix of several colors.
Can you wear red with black?
Well, sure you can--especially at night. But other combos
might feel a little less dramatic for daytime.